Last year I wrote – admittedly in fairly loose terms – about my hopes and dreams for 2016. Revisiting that post, I see I had so much still to learn I didn’t know what I wanted to achieve. But with the end of the year drawing near, I want to reflect to see how far I’ve come both personally and professionally. Incidentally, this is just about the most self-indulgent post I could write (yes, very aware). But it’s mostly about making myself accountable for striving towards my goals and, on this occasion, less intended to something for my readers to enjoy – naturally I’m delighted if you choose to read nonetheless.
One year ago my blog was a humble unknown corner of the web, with few visitors and fewer followers. However I ‘met’ two incredible women around that time who have both helped me achieve unthinkable accomplishments since then; my very great thanks go to Amy Treasure and Love from Mim.
So what’s changed for me professionally in the last twelve months?
- A new pro (and pretty!) theme;
- I became a Huff Post contributor;
- I was shortlisted for a BiBs award;
- I wrote and published an ebook;
- I started a linky;
- I became a BritMums round-up editor;
- I hugely increased my traffic;
- I *almost* made the top 100 in Tots (next update?!);
- I increased my DA to a very respectable level;
- I monetised the blog;
- I recorded a podcast with Cherry Healey – at her house no less!
Have I forgotten anything?! I think that’s quite enough to be going on with – I’m thrilled with how far I’ve come in just a year. But I have so much more I wish to achieve!
Personally things couldn’t be better either: we’re having another baby! Which
may will undoubtedly affect the progress of my career. But that’s okay – there’s more to life than just work. And I shall keep a toe in, of course! Probably a leg; at least a foot.
My little girl turned two and continues to wow us every day with her grace and humour – she’s so bright and funny, and she’s becoming such a beautiful person. I’m in awe of the kindness in such young souls. So on the home front I have much to be grateful for.
But what of the coming year? I want to write some actionable (SMART) goals. However this is a little difficult in as much as I will be birthing a human being, and I will still be bringing up a toddler too, ie. I need to give myself a little breathing space. But as a blogger, that’s not exactly my strong suit.
I’m going to attempt to set some realistic targets, which I hope to achieve, but won’t flagellate myself if I don’t quite manage to tick off…
- Having signed up for Aby‘s course, I intend to complete it;
- I would love to reach the next Twitter milestone of 10k followers;
- I know I can’t expect to be earning a full-time wage from my blog whilst not actually working full-time, but it would be wonderful to have a regular, steady income by the end of next year;
- I’d like to nail SEO so that my Google referral traffic is a little more respectable;
- I’d like to dip my toe in the waters of vlogging, though this one makes me rather uncomfortable!
- Improve my photography, perhaps even buy a proper camera. (Update: Christmas pressie from hubby – camera. No excuses…)
- Definitely continue to work Pinterest and take it from strength to strength.
I think that about covers it professionally. Of course, the most daunting task ahead of me is to manage the majority of this whilst prioritising being a good mum – to two.
Wish me lots of luck, as I do you in reaching your goals in 2017!
What are your ambitions for the coming year?