Last week after many months of feeling detached and out of the blogging loop, I finally attended my first solo event since Elfin was born – and it was totally worth the wait! Today I want to talk to you about the nations favourite: sausages. Richmond have launched healthier chicken sausages and I was invited to a demonstration of how they can easily be incorporated into some of the nation’s favourite dinners.
I ventured into Soho to the Good Housekeeping Institute kitchen where I was greeted by Angellica Bell, reigning Celeb Masterchef winner. (There may also have been fizz which was not entirely unwelcome, not least because the Institute is glass-fronted and faces onto a quiet Soho street, so I felt a bit like I was in a goldfish bowl!)
Essentially, the event entailed champagne and sausages, which may seem somewhat incongruous, but for a mum who doesn’t get out much it was honestly my dream come true: indulgent bubbles with indulgent food – what’s not to love?
Richmond Launch Chicken Sausages
Angellica was joined by Richmond chef, Mat Stephany, to recreate some of the nation’s favourite dishes for us – but with a twist: using their newly launched chicken sausages. Mat divulged some culinary tips and tricks (if you’re cooking with wine, add a final dash of vino a couple of minutes before removing from the heat to add those top notes back in!), and we had the opportunity to cook interactively too.
The Good Housekeeping Institute is a professional set-up, with a kitchen one end where Angellica and Mat were working their magic, and benches running the length of the room in front of them where we were able to get involved. I had a go at making baked beans from scratch which sounds simple, and it was – but you may be surprised by the number of ingredients which went into them to give them their delicious and distinctive taste!
The purpose of the event was to demonstrate the versatility of the sausages and give us some inspiration for modern twists on traditional dishes.
My favourite recipe from the day was Angellica and Mat’s take on bangers and mash: chicken sausages and tangy leek and mustard mashed potato!
Personally, I’m a bit of a heathen and – gasp – I like my mash lumpy. So I usually make mine with finely chopped onion, fried till it’s started to caramelise; or sometimes with heated cheese stirred through it.
I wouldn’t have thought of adding leeks and mustard, but I’m confident it would go down a treat with my family and I’ll definitely be recreating it at home!
A Healthier, Less Sinful Sausage!
We made three of the nation’s favourite dishes and I can honestly say (I sampled them all) they were very good! In our home we limit sausages because they’re known for not being the most nutritious food choice, so I’ll definitely be looking to stock up on these healthier chicken options. And because they contain 30% less fat and 20% fewer calories than their pork counterparts, when served as part of a balanced meal you can be confident that you’re giving your family a wholesome dinner.
So you can sample their new chicken sausages for yourself, Richmond are offering you the chance to win a £25 Tesco voucher which also covers the cost of the ingredients for recreating one of their recipes!
For your chance to win simply enter below:
a Rafflecopter giveaway
What’s your favourite sausage recipe which could be made using Richmond’s new chicken sausages?
Richmond chicken sausages retail at £2.50 and are available to buy now in all major supermarkets.
Terms and conditions:
- Giveaway will run from 15/05/2018 – 27/05/2018.
- There is one prize to be won.
- The prize is non-transferable and no cash alternative is offered.
- One entry permitted per person.
- This giveaway is open to UK entries only.
- Entrants must be age 18 or over.
- Data controller for the purposes of this giveaway is The Less-Refined Mind. Your details will not be used for any other purpose than selecting/informing a winner.
- Winner’s details will be passed to Richmond, who is responsible for sending out the prize.
- Entrants must enter using the rafflecopter widgets embedded within this blog post.
- All entries will be checked.
- The winner will be chosen at random from valid entries using the rafflecopter software.
- The winner will be informed by email or on Twitter.
- Failure to respond within one week may result in a new winner being drawn.
- Once drawn, the winner’s name will be displayed on the rafflecopter.
- Entry into the giveaway will be deemed as acceptance of these terms and conditions.
This is a commissioned post.