If your coveted wedding flowers are out of season, don’t panic just yet – there are some excellent wedding bouquet alternatives available.
When you reach the point in your wedding planning of having chosen a theme, it’s incredibly exciting to see everything start coming together. So it can be heartbreaking when you discover that something you desire is just not possible. Whether it’s the shoes that are discontinued and no longer available in your size, the perfect china that’s just the wrong shade to match the cravats, or your perfect wedding flowers that are out of season, you’re left with a tragic dilemma.
What to Do When Wedding Flowers Are Out of Season
So what’s a girl to do? Here is a blunt list of your seven options. Warning: none of these will magically fix your problem, but some come pretty close.
1. Find a Similar Bloom
A florist worth their salt will be able to advise you about similar alternatives. I was desperate to have peonies at my wedding and was recommended cabbage roses as a replacement (I got married in October).
My bouquet was beautiful, if not exactly what I had in mind.
2. Consider Silk Flowers
3. Choose a Different Flower
If you are a perfectionist and a poor imitation just won’t do (though actually, some are really quite good!), you may have to consider choosing a different spray altogether.
Who knows, perhaps you will find something even better if you remain open-minded.
4. Cough Up
It is rare in the wedding industry that something cannot be accomplished – for the right price, natch. If you are absolutely determined to have that posy, it can be done. Providing, of course, that you are willing to stump up for the cost of airfreighting and storing the coveted stems.
5. Get Hitched Abroad
If your budget will not allow the above option, you could always consider marrying abroad where the blooms you lust after are in season. Destination weddings can be surprisingly good value too!
6. Change the Date of Your Wedding
If none of the above cut it, the last – and most drastic – option available to you is… to change your wedding date.
Wedding Bouquet Alternatives
There are so many stunning alternatives to the traditional bouquet:
- Brooch bouquets – If you are open to doing something a little different, a brooch bouquet can be an elegant alternative. And if you happen to be going for a vintage vibe, this can be a really fabulous way to work extra detail into the day.
- Fabric – An opportunity to inject some nostalgia and sentimental value into your bouquet, by selecting a fabric that means something to you and creating something unique and inspired with it!
- Paper – Paper flowers can be very pretty, made to the precise colour required, and are easily kept.
- Feathers – A dramatic choice and memorable choice – perfect for a vintage-inspired wedding!
BalloonsCheck out these pretty balloon alternatives that would also work perfectly instead of fresh flowers!
- Dried flowers – Not quite what you had envisaged perhaps, but dried flowers can ensure you have the flowers you want for your wedding, even if they’re out of season. Just keep in mind they may change colour as they dry, and are likely to be fragile.
Top tip: If you’re drying your own flowers, tie them together and hang upside down to prevent them from wilting!
If your preferred flower is not available, it leaves you open to some really exciting and inspired choices. Rather than the closing of a door, think of it as an opportunity to be imaginative and create something unique and special!