Affirmations for self-love and compassion are a proven way to increase feelings of wellbeing, and while the idea of them may feel awkward, the fact is that they’re a powerful tool in the pursuit of inner peace.
Using Affirmations For Self-Love
If you want to establish a healthier relationship with yourself, practicing affirmations for self love can be immensely beneficial. They can help you to feel validated, simply by increasing your self-belief. For anybody lacking in self-worth, that’s huge.
Do Affirmations Help With Self Love?
‘Self love’ is one of those icky terms that is too often considered either pseudo-scientific waffle, or selfish. But it’s vital to our wellbeing and can do wonders for low self-esteem, which is something that so many people are afflicted with. Everybody deserves to live a peaceful and fulfilling life and daily affirmations for self love can help you to reach your full contented potential.
And by the way, there’s a solid reason I buy into this: there is a well-established psychological theory which explains exactly how and why positive affirmations work. It’s not woo woo nonsense – it’s science.
What Are Positive Affirmations?
Positive affirmations are simply short phrases or statements which challenge negative self talk. And there’s empirical evidence supporting the idea of using self love affirmations to boost self-esteem.
Essentially, the theory is that using positive affirmations strengthens our integrity and self-efficacy (our belief in our perceived ability to adapt and respond flexibly) for the best outcomes. It’s about:
- Accepting our limitations with compassion, and seeing ourselves as inherently valuable in spite of them;
- Defining success in a range of different ways, with a focus on principles and integrity;
- Viewing ourselves positively not for our strengths or talents, but for our efforts to live in ways that align with out personal core values;
What is Self Love?
Self love is one of those tricky concepts that is both revered and disdained. On the one hand it’s considered a basic human need, in terms of self-worth. Yet on the other it’s often thought of as conceited or narcissistic. The truth is, it’s about balance.
Defined as ‘regard for one’s own wellbeing and happiness’, we all deserve a degree of self love in our lives, insomuch as we shouldn’t have to live with low self-esteem, self-confidence, or self-worth; neither should we sacrifice our own needs in order to meet others’ demands or expectations.
Prioritising our own needs is not selfish, it’s self-care.
How Do You Fill Yourself With Self Love?
Here are some ways to practice self love:
- Setting healthy boundaries with others,
- Making time for self-care,
- Forgiving yourself,
- Spending time on things that bring you joy,
- Challenging negative thoughts about yourself,
- Getting comfortable saying ‘no’,
- Trusting your instincts and intuition,
- Making pleasure a priority in your life,
- Accepting your flaws,
- Positive self talk,
- Refusing to be a people pleaser,
- Building time into your week for exercise and rest,
- Getting enough sleep,
- Eating well,
- Working through difficult feelings,
- Being as kind to yourself as you would be a friend.
Why is Self Love Important to Your Wellbeing?
Self love underpins our day to day happiness and joy, and lays the foundations for living a meaningful and contented life. Until we are truly accepting of and comfortable in our own skin, bodies and inside our own heads, we cannot fully experience happiness and peace.
For as long as there is any element of us that is lacking love, we will forever sabotage our own efforts for living harmoniously.
Why Is It Necessary to Actively Work on Self Love?
Unfortunately we’re surrounded by cues that encourage negative self talk. Much of it comes from the media, but it’s also learned behaviour.
It’s common in most homes to see and hear parents criticising their appearance, for example. Likewise if they’re clumsy, they become a klutz, and so on. Calling ourselves names is so normal that we don’t even notice when we do it, but it’s detrimental to our self-esteem and self-worth – and it rubs off on those watching too. It’s the reason I refuse to mention my appearance in front of my children, I’m so conscious of making them disproportionately focused on something which should be inconsequential.
Sadly, it’s big business to keep people from feeling their best: for every thing you lack, that’s another product you can be sold. And keeping people in that negative mindset whilst pedalling solutions is all too easy. Media and commercialism have a lot to answer for.
So, most of us are inadvertently ‘taught’ how to be unkind to ourselves, and then that mindset is encouraged and reinforced.
How Do I Affirm My Self Worth?
But you do not have to buy into that – the good news is that learned behaviour can be unlearned!
You can make the decision to be wise to the negative and harmful messages you’re exposed to, and counteract them by using daily self love affirmations.
How to Use Daily Self Love Affirmations
Depending on your level of comfort with the idea of affirmations, you can practice in a few different ways:
1. Reciting daily affirmations
Say your affirmations to yourself at a regular time so that it becomes habit. Perhaps as you’re getting ready in the morning, while you’re driving to work, cooking dinner, or while you’re working out. Speaking affirmations out loud is a compelling way to make them ‘stick’.
2. Creating positive mantras
Similar to reciting them, you can turn your affirmations into a mantra during meditation or yoga practice.
The most important aspect of using affirmations is always that you are consciously engaged with the process, so that you feel the words and believe them.
As ever, journaling is my go-to and personal comfort zone. Plus writing is a powerful way to absorb, assimilate, and embrace your affirmations.
This is also ideal for anyone who feels too awkward to recite affirmations out loud, and so may be a good starting point for those new to affirmations.
How Many Affirmations Should I Say a Day?
This is subjective; it’s about doing what works for you, and the best scenario is a routine that you’re able to maintain regularly so it becomes a healthy habit.
As a rule of thumb, I’d recommend selecting three to five affirmations which speak to you, and repeating them for three to five minutes, three to five times a day. See how you respond after a couple of weeks of this, to help you decide whether you’re ready to move on to adding some more or using completely new affirmations.
If it’s helpful you could write or print the affirmations onto flashcards or similar and stick them around your bedroom mirror, by your desk, or anywhere else suitable. This is beneficial for several reasons:
- The act of writing out the affirmations is powerful in itself;
- A visual cue will make it easier to remember your affirmations while you’re learning them;
- Regular visual exposure to your affirmations for self love will help to reinforce them;
- If audibly chanting your affirmations or journaling is not your thing, reading them over and over is next best option.
What Are the Most Powerful Affirmations?
I’m quite particular about the affirmations I use in my daily life.
It’s important that the affirmations you use feel relevant, and appropriate to your circumstances and beliefs. While they may not be entirely comfortable to begin with, they should be ideas you want for yourself and aspire to, concepts you can believe in so that you can say or write them with conviction.
What are the most powerful affirmations? The ones that work for you.
113 Powerful Self Loving Affirmations
The following 80 affirmations are carefully curated with the above in mind, to help reduce negative self-talk and increase self-esteem and self-worth.
I’ve also included an additional 33 inspiring quotes at the end.
23 I Am Affirmations For Self Love
‘I am’ affirmations for self love are some of the most are some of the most effective since they assert and affirm a belief in and about your current state.
- I am worthy of love and kindness.
- I am grateful for the wonderful things in my life.
- I am strong and resilient.
- I am at peace with my appearance.
- I am capable of reaching my goals.
- I am beautiful inside and out.
- I am valued and valuable.
- I am allowed to say no.
- I am doing my best.
- I am learning and growing.
- I am full of vitality.
- I am proud of myself.
- I am unafraid of my feelings.
- I am optimistic and positive.
- I am allowed to create healthy boundaries.
- I am worthy of my dreams and desires.
- I am a friend to and an advocate for myself.
- I am compassionate to myself and others.
- I am not my mistakes or flaws.
- I am open to receiving love.
- I am growing wiser every day.
- I am a wonderful friend to others.
- I am a good person.
30 Self Loving Affirmations For Self Worth
Few (if any) things are more vital to wellbeing than self-worth. These self love affirmations for self-worth will help you to practice self-compassion and self-acceptance.
- I deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.
- I accept my whole self.
- I forgive myself for my mistakes.
- I respect my limitations with grace.
- I choose to expect the best for myself.
- I allow myself to feel deeply and openly.
- I allow myself to enjoy my body in all ways.
- Happiness is a choice I make.
- I deserve rest.
- I deserve peace and happiness.
- I matter.
- I reject all feelings of shame.
- I love and appreciate my body for all it does.
- My mind, body, and soul deserve love and respect.
- I reject self-pity and embrace self-compassion.
- I have a lot to offer.
- I choose to stop apologising for being me.
- I give myself permission to cease being weighed down by my regrets.
- Today I start being kinder to myself.
- I nourish my body, because it is serves me well and deserves my kindness and respect.
- I accept and believe compliments.
- I deserve to feel good in my own skin.
- I accept myself with compassion, perceived flaws and all.
- My mind deserves to be stretched and challenged.
- I prioritise myself and my needs.
- I love and respect every part of myself.
- I cherish myself; mind, body, and soul.
- I deserve and treat myself with the same kindness as I would a friend.
- I let go of that which no longer serves me.
- I deserve beautiful friendships which I value.
27 Self Love Affirmations For Self Esteem
Affirmations for self-esteem are very powerful when it comes to increasing confidence and starting to have kinder beliefs about yourself.
- I believe in myself.
- My goal is progress, not perfection.
- I let go of my past.
- I work hard and deserve success.
- I trust in myself.
- I have the power to change my world.
- I shine bright with awe and wonder.
- Life does not have to perfect to be beautiful.
- I make a positive difference in the world.
- Happiness is found within.
- I have so much to celebrate.
- I deflect negativity.
- My past neither determines nor defines my future.
- I trust in my ability to overcome challenges.
- I forgive others with compassion.
- I learn from my mistakes.
- I embrace positive thoughts.
- My mistakes are learning opportunities.
- It’s never too late to change.
- I choose balance and peace.
- I will keep trying.
- The only approval I need is my own.
- I trust my intuition.
- I do not need the validation of others.
- I love my own company.
- I have achieved wonderful things.
- My life is full of beautiful experiences.
33 Self Love Affirmation Quotes
Self-love is not selfish; you cannot truly love another until you know how to love yourself.Unknown
Love yourself enough to set boundaries. Your time and energy are precious. You get to choose how you use it. You teach people how to treat you by deciding what you will and won’t accept.Anna Taylor
Owning our story and loving ourselves through that process is the bravest thing that we’ll ever do.Brené Brown
If you’re searching for that one person that will change your life, take a look in the mirror.Unknown
Why should we worry about what others think of us, do we have more confidence in their opinions than we do our own?Brigham Young
There’s no need to be perfect to inspire others. Let others get inspired by how you deal with your imperfections.Ziad K. Abdelnour
You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.Buddha
Eat like you love yourself. Move like you love yourself. Speak like you love yourself. Act like your love yourself. Love yourself.Tara Stiles
You were born to be real, not to be perfect.Ralph Marston
If you’re searching for that one person that will change your life, take a look in the mirror.Unknown
One day i woke up and realised I was not made for anyone, I was made for me. I am my own.Unknown
The real difficulty is to overcome how you think about yourself.Maya Angelou
In order to love who you are, you cannot hate the experiences that shaped you.Andrea Dykstra
Falling in love with yourself first doesn’t make you vain or selfish. It makes you indestructible.Unknown
Remind yourself that you cannot fail at being yourself.Dr Wayne W. Dyer
The real difficulty is to overcome how you think about yourself.Eleanor Roosevelt
When I accept myself just as I am, i am freed from the burden of needing you to accept me.Dr Steve Maraboli
There is no sense in punishing your future for the mistakes of your past. Forgive yourself, grow from it, and then let it go.Melanie Koulouris
The worst loneliness is to not be comfortable with yourself.Mark Twain
We can’t be so desperate for love that we forget where we can always find it; within.Alexandra Elle
Your relationship with yourself sets the tone for every other relationship you have.Robert Holden
Self love. It doesn’t mean that everyone will treat you the way you deserve to be treated. It means that you won’t let them change the way you see yourself; nor will you stick around for them to destroy you.Tony A. Gaskins Jr.
If you don’t love yourself, nobody will. Not only that, you won’t be good at loving anyone else. Loving starts with the self.Dr Wayne W. Dyer
A healthy self-love means we have no compulsion to justify to ourselves or others why we take vacations, why we sleep late, why we buy new shoes, why we spoil ourselves from time to time. We feel comfortable doing things which add quality and beauty to life.Andrew Matthews
Demonstrate love by giving it, unconditionally, to yourself. And as you do, you will attract others into your life who will love you without conditions.Paul Ferrini
When you recover or discover something that nourishes your soul and brings joy, care enough about yourself to make room for it in your life.Jean Shinoda Bolen
Put yourself at the top of your to-do list every single day and the rest will fall into place.Unknown
Be proud of who you are, and not ashamed of how someone else sees you.Unknown
Never give up on anyone. And that includes not giving up on yourself.Dieter F. Uchtdorf
I am not looking to escape my darkness, I’m learning to love myself here.Rune Lazuli
You’re a work of art. Not everyone will understand you, but the ones who do, will never forget about you.Unknown
Remember, you have been criticising yourself for years and it hasn’t worked. Try approving of yourself and see what happens.Louise Hay
Inner peace begins the moment you choose not to allow another person or event to control your emotions.Pema Chodron
Now Use These Daily Self Loving Affirmations to Live the Life You Deserve!
Your mind will always believe everything you tell it. Feed it faith, feed it truth, feed it love.
Practicing these affirmations regularly in your preferred technique will, over time, create a healthier, more positive mindset. Make it a habit, and you will literally rewire your brain to be kinder and more self loving.